Research and Development
At Ecosyl, we’re leading the way in the research and development of new technologies and management techniques which aim to improve the efficiency of animal production from forage.
Our research group was originally set up by Dr Terry Owen, a specialist in microbiology and forage science.
Now the team of forage researchers is lead by Philip Jones at our new Research and Development Facilities in Port Talbot, Wales, collaborating with universities, colleges and research institutes in the UK and around the world.
A long tradition of research and development traces back to our origin as part of ICI Agriculture and the same principles of developing proven, cost effective products still holds true today. We actively encourage the independent authentication of research through its publication in the scientific press. Our aim is to ensure easy access to any research involving our products. We also provide briefings, dossiers, publications and advice to researchers, advisors, farmers and the agricultural media.
During our many years of research and development, we have developed important advances and world leading expertise in four key areas of technology:
- Continuous culture
- Bacterial stabilization
- ULV (ultra-low volume) application
The Research Group has several areas of focus:
- Quality control: ensuring our current products meet specification.
- Product formulation: reviewing product components to ensure they meet the high quality standards we set for our product range.
- Product development: developing novel bacterial systems from conception to product launch.
- New strain selection: finding and developing new strains of silage bacteria with novel properties.
Our most recent products, launched as a result of our near market research and development activity are:
- Ecosyler applicator (not available in USA)
- Ecosyl ULV
Our most recent research development has been Ecocool which combines two elite strains of bacteria; Lactobacillus plantarum strain MTD/1 for improved fermentation and Lactobacillus buchneri strain PJB/1 for improved aerobic stability. This inoculant can be applied at any rate from ULV( 1.28 oz/ton) to standard (2 quarts/ton).
The research summaries listed here are generated by Volac's forage scientists. They are a précis of the work carried out both inside the company and at research institutes or Universities. Please contact us if you would like a copy.
- Ecosyl trials summary
- Ecosyl trials summary - short
- Ecosyl beef trials summary
- Ecosyl dairy trails summary
- LEGSIL trials summary
- Ecosyl and wet silages
- Ecosyl and high DM silages
- Ecosyl alfalfa trials summary
We believe it is important that we can back up our claims through independent trials. The research papers listed below are only a sample of the background work on our products.
The following list of references represents only a selection from the extensive list of independent research reported on our products, most of which is published. Copies are available on request - please contact us for a copy.